Within the scope of UNDP “Women in Politics” program a seminar-training on “Involvement of Women in City Management and Decision Making Process of Ejmiatsin’’ was held in the city of Ejmiatsin. Women working in various fields were participating in the seminar.
The program aims at creating an advisory body adjacent to the Mayor of Ejmiatsin, consisting of at least 15 women, functioning on a voluntary basis to provide recommendations, conclusions and suggestions to the Mayor, involving them in the city social, cultural, educational, health, tourism and other spheres, ensuring their interaction and cooperation with the local self-government bodies responsible for policy-developing and decision-making processes, thus ensuring women's active participation in city governance and development processes.
According to program coordinator Karine Yesayan, the advisory bodies, as a joint group of citizens, representatives of civil society and private sector organizations, can provide recommendations, conclusions and suggestions to the Mayor, thus actively participating in policy-developing, decision-making and monitoring their implementation and evaluation processes, which in fact is not being carried out in the current situation.
Within the scope of the program, 5-day training has already been conducted for 25 women from Ejmiatsin. This Friday, at 15:00 it is planned to conduct the 6th final training.
During the trainings different speakers have had presentations on the following topics:
1) Women's empowerment and gender equality;
2) Local self-government body and its functions;
3) The powers of the City Council of Elders and the preparation of the drafts of the decisions presented during the council meetings and the procedure of presenting thereof;
4) The role and functions of the population in the process of exercising the powers of the local self-government bodies;
5) Involvement of women in the activities of local self-government bodies, participation in local self-government;
6) On the formation and activities of the advisory bodies adjacent to the Mayor.
Mayor of Ejmiatsin Diana Gasparyan also participated in the training as an honorary guest and speaker.